Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Getting ready for Vietnam

Well, now it's getting exciting again. Some days on board the ship are a challenge, especially when it's hot, the air conditioning isn't working and you've got seven women sharing a room with only two chairs! We've picked up a lot more people. Project Hope arrived yesterday along with some of our Partner Nation folks from India and Korea. We have about 25 Pre-Dental students from UCSD, and others I am sure I am forgetting but don't mean to. We had a presentation for the NGOs about the East Meets West Foundation which was founded by LeLy Hayslip, author of "When Heaven and Earth Changed Places". I happened to read that when I was on the Mercy in 2006. Hugely inspirational to me, it sharpened my motivation to go into global nursing. Capt. Craft, Dental Officer gave the presentation and when he started telling the story about how they got started, I thought "how lucky am I to meet someone who works with such an incredible woman." You should read the book, the movie Heaven and Earth was sort of based on the book but some artistic license was taken. We are not sure what we are going to be facing as to what types of care we will be allowed to give, but we are just happy to have the chance to be here anyway. The Navy Band will be playing at one of the sites which will make it the first time in 32 years that the Navy Band has played in Vietnam. Public Affairs has made U.S./Vietnam pins for everyone on board which when the Commodore gave me one, I almost cried as it made me think of my dad. He was here in 1969 in Quang Tri (sp?)right on the DMZ. I brought a picture of him with me and show it to people now and then, most of the comments are something like "wow! That's the real thing!" It was very special to receive that pin from Commodore Kearns, nothing official, we were just at a briefing and asked if I had one yet. I don't know when I'll be able to get onshore as there are a lot of people and only so many spots. I'm just waiting for someone to get on the intercom tomorrow and yell "Good Morning Vietnam!" Let's see what happens. I just can't believe we really get to do this! Those of us who grew up in that era I think have a special sense of gratitude about this process. Baby steps in getting along. Take care.

No comments: