Search This Blog

Thursday, June 19, 2008

Good Morning Vietnam!

I woke up this morning a little late and threw on my clothes to run up to the mess deck so I wouldn't miss breakfast, it was about 7:00. You have to eat when the meal times are set or else you are out of luck. Before going in to grab my food, I took a peak outside and saw land, so I went outside for a quick look at what my first view of Vietnam would be like. I can't explain the feeling. It was so much more beautiful than I imagined. There are a few islands where we were anchored and from the deck you can see this incredible series of low mountain ranges and the low lying beach areas. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the opening ceremony as a representative of SDSU. The reception was very gracious and beautiful, of course there is a lot of caution but that is to be expected. There are plans for the engineering crews to work with the local Vietnamese in refurbishing clinics and schools, which I think has a lasting impact. Our doctors and nurses will be working side by side with the Vietnamese medical providers which is historic. Operation Smile will be doing about a hundred surgeries, it's just a golden opportunity to share knowledge and understanding.
There is an emotional part to those of us over 40, of course I think about my dad a lot and wonder what he would think of all of this. I bet he's up there grinning. I just got through calling my mom in Florida just to have her hear my voice from Vietnam. My son Fred surprised the heck out of her the other day. He lives in San Diego but drove out with a friend who is getting transferred overseas and he was able to drop in and give her a quick visit. That was pretty cool. Going to sign off. Take care.

2 comments:

scooter said...

Thanks for the updates. You are on an incredible life journey doing great and meaningful work. Love the photos!

Global Nurse said...

So stoked you were able to get on and read this. You don't know how much of an inspiration you are to me with stories of your past travels when you were solo. This is only the tip of the whole experience. I wear the "Team Scream" shirt for a nightshirt.:) I've been trying to recon surf spots for my buddies back home. Got the word on a couple of places in the winter. Nha Trang is worth seeing.