Search This Blog

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Leaving Singapore

Back on the ship. Came in a little early to miss the rush of people tomorrow morning. I sure needed that break. The Botanical Gardens are a must-see if you come to Singapore. I walked from the hotel and wasn't sure if I was going the right way or not some of the time but I eventually got there. Hot and so humid you literally drip all day when you are outside. Totally worth it though, very peaceful and incredibly lush. I also ventured out on the MRT which is incredibly busy and crowded but at the same time clean and super efficient. Something we could learn from. They place a high value on public safety, health education and just plain courtesy and kindness. I enjoyed reading their newspapers to see more of the international news than we can easily get in one paper back home. Wished I had more time to visit the hospitals and health clinics but I guess I'll just have to come back for that. I watched Malaysian, Korean, Chinese, Indian, English, German and French TV. One of my favorite things was hearing the band in the lounge playing "Okie from Muskogee", they really love 70's music here and play reruns of Macguyver. Great food here also.
The next stop will be East Timor, I don't know how long it will take to get there but at least a few days. We are anticipating much more need there as those folks have been through a lot in the past several years.
We are supposed to have a crossing the equator ceremony in a few days for those of us who this is their first time crossing, and I heard it's not for the faint-hearted.
Take care all.

No comments: