Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Australia

Well, I'm finally off the ship. The last day I just stayed on when we hit Darwin as it was a circus trying to get a thousand people off the ship and a couple hundred on.
In Sydney now, I just got back from taking the ferry across Darling Harbor to Manley Beach. It was so beautiful! This harbor probably is the most beautiful harbor in the world. After getting off the ship I stayed a day in Darwin and wished I could've stayed more. Very peaceful and quiet. Spent the day just walking around town picking up a few souvenirs, took a quick dip in the pool and went downtown for dinner. Ran into some of the women I worked with on the ship at a bar and grill called the Hog's Breath, they were having a few and one of them asked me to play my harmonica. I used to be just so shy about playing in front of people, now two different women have asked me to teach them what I know. I'll probably not see them again but got a few tips in. Last night was a challenge, after getting off the plane I had to wait in line for about an hour to get a taxi. It took me to the other side of town and into a hotel that the cab driver didn't even want to drop me off at. No internet, my cell phone wouldn't work so I called work and they had the agency correct things. So,now I am staying in a very nice hotel in the middle of downtown Sydney, walking distance to almost everything I need or want to do. It's winter here so it's a little cold but not bad at all. Just wish I had brought a nicer jacket than my DMAT jacket, but hey, I didn't have any idea I'd be coming here in the first place. Trying to soften the edges before I get back home. Wish I had more time here, there is so much to do, so much I'd like to explore about Australia. I'm hoping to meet up with one of the Australians I talked with on the ship to discuss international civ/mil collaboration. Funny thing, I ended up sitting next to two Aussies I worked with and one of them got the guys' phone number for me. How's that for luck? More pictures when I get home. Take care.

No comments: