Search This Blog

Thursday, July 3, 2008

Singapore

In Singapore, starting to feel human again. Yesterday was a challenge trying to get off the ship, the room I thought was confirmed was unavailable and all of the phone lines were down on the ship. The internet has been notoriously slow so there I was, stuck on the ship, everyone had left for liberty and I had no communication with the outside world. I was not a happy camper to say the least. I decided upon the advice of someone who said "you just need to get off the ship!", to take a cab and try and find a room. Self-sufficient as I think I am, it was a daunting task to tackle finding a room in a foreign country by myself. It was hot, I was tired and I didn't know if I would have to go back to the ship or not. I ended up sharing a cab with two other people from the ship and ended up getting a room at the hotel I was originally booked at. There was also the issue of how I was going to use this time, could I afford it, and what was I going to do by myself in Singapore? I decided to just take it easy and not try to do and see everything. I got a bite to eat at this great little Japanese restaraunt where the gentleman that owns it gave me his and his wife's phone number in case I found myself needing help while in Singapore. It was quiet and the food was great. Did some channel surfing and watched a Mayasian version of Punked! called Watanabed! Funny, same premise. Today I slept in, had a late breakfast walked down the street exploring a bit,found a grocery store and got a few thinngs and then came back and decided to lay out by the pool. It was great, did a little swimming which felt good and got a little sun. There's tons of shopping around here, I guess that's the main attraction. After the pool I got some acupressure done on my neck and back then had my hair cut. Just a day to take care of all those little things. After that I went on a big adventure and took the bus to Plaza Singapura to try and find a b-flat harmonica. I was told there was a Yamaha music store there. Found the store but they only had C and G harps, got a C one anyway. Got a couple of hang ten shirts for a really good price, no wonder people like to shop here. Tomorrow I hope to go to the Botanical Gardens to see the Orchid Garden and then maybe to Little India. Didn't even take my camera today so maybe tomorrow I'll bring it to get a few shots of Singapore.
One of the things I love about Singapore is the mix of cultures, it's wonderful. And, easy for me, most people speak English and it's very safe for a single woman to travel. It is an incredibly clean city and very green and lush. I know it's going to be difficult going back to the ship after this! Grateful for a much needed break. Take care all.

No comments: